Sunday, April 20, 2008

Earth Day, Everyone's Celebrating This Year

I think it is amazing that Earth Day is being celebrated like a major holiday this year. Never before have I seen so many things about Earth Day everywhere, in the papers, in the news, local celebrations both public and private, and the stores...the stores are really going all out this year promoting green products.

It's about time it caught on, it only took almost 40 years. The first Earth Day was held on April 22, 1970 but Senator Gaylord Nelson started being very concerned with environmental issues in1962. Over the next several years he was working with environmental topics then in 1969 the idea for Earth Day came to him. Read more about it here: http://earthday.envirolink.org/history.html

I remember I first heard about Earth Day in the 80's when I was a kid. I thought it was so cool I wanted to have a big party, but no one else knew what Earth Day was or bothered to celebrate it here in the Rust Belt. That's the way it has been here. But now even the Rust Belt is going green.

Today's Flint Journal featured no less than 3 stories with a green angle including one about businesses going green, one about Earth day and things everyone can do to make a difference and one about local Earth Day celebrations that were held over the weekend.

Anyway I am so thrilled to read about all the local stuff for Earth Day going on here in Flint. I think it is way past time. And even though it is going extremely commercial, all the businesses are hopping on the green bandwagon, you know I guess it is the outcome that counts. The ends justifies the means. Anyway you look at it it makes it easier for everyone to go green and live green.

Home Depot now carries all kinds of organic stuff for my garden including my Miracle Grow which now comes in an organic formula. Yea! Plus, this is the best, Home Depot now has no VOC paint. I've been waiting and searching and complaining at the local Home Depot for awhile now and finally they have it. About time. I need to paint my bedroom and didn't want to have to order online or drive all over trying to find no VOC paint when Home Depot is right around the corner from my house.

Along with Meijer who's having a huge Earth Day thing next Saturday, April the 26th. They are showcasing all kinds of new green products, giving out free samples and having drawing and prizes. I'll be there checking it out.

I will also be hauling my old electronics up to the Best Buy on Miller Rd Saturday. I've been holding onto a couple broken TVs cause I didn't know what to do with them. Couldn't just send them to the trash. On Saturday the 26th Best Buy is holding an electronics recycling collection from 10 am to 4pm. They'll be taking cellphones, TVs, VCRs, video game consoles, and other small electronics and appliances under 100 lbs. Woo Hoo I can finally clear out some of my junk that's been piling up.

So for those environmental enthusiasts that think everything is becoming too commercial and too green washed, don't despair too much. It's for the greater good. Everyone can be a greenie now. Come on, it's what you've been working for right? Raising awareness, promoting recycling and conservation...

I know, I know...I snort and guffaw at some of the companies that are promoting green and the ways that some are going out of their way to be green but just think at least you have some entertainment.

Enjoy Earth Day (or Earth Week, or two Earth Weeks, even Earth month as some are promoting it now) your way. I'll be planting flowers and maybe a tree. I'm not sure. (The power company has issues with trees in my yard, they cut down all of them that even came close to the power lines.) Maybe I'll look for some dwarf trees or bushes that won't get big enough to touch the lines.

Oh well, I was rambling again. Back to the point. Enjoy Earth Day, celebrate your way.

No comments: